Monday 24 January 2011

Butterfly

Round 30: April 2031 (Autumn)

Maia Novak is 29 and Aaron Novak and Calvin Clarke are both 28.
(
Nick is 28, Sarah is 26 and Ethan is 25)

Narrated by Maia Novak

I still like living with Aaron and Calvin but I do feel ready for a space that feels more like my own now.

I'm used to seeing Calvin and Aaron being affectionate in front of me, after being friends for so long but this place has definitely felt a lot smaller over the past couple of years.

I think now is an excellent time for the roommate thing to come to an end, seeing Aaron and Calvin are getting married! Calvin's not much of a romantic but he knew Aaron would appreciate an actual proposal, so he did it anyway.


Aaron was a bit suspicious when Calvin asked him to use up one of his vacation days; Calvin never takes the day off work! But who would say no?

Calvin said he didn't think there's ever been a guy less nervous about a proposal.

Aaron's been so keen to get married and really didn't make a secret of it, so Calvin was 100% sure he'd say yes.

It was a huge surprise to Aaron, because I think he'd given up on Calvin ever asking.

So of course, Aaron said yes.

Then seeing they'd both taken the day off, they could just hang out in the park all afternoon.

It sounded pretty perfect, actually.

Aaron had resigned himself to just living with Calvin and starting a family that way, so I'm so excited that this is happening for them now.

I have to keep pulling myself back from trying to take over the wedding. I think about parties all day at work, so it's hard to switch off sometimes! Aaron and Calvin have both pretty tolerant of my butting in so far!

They've decided they're not going to have a whole mess of attendants or anything - just two. Me for Aaron, and Troy for Calvin.

It feels like everyone is getting married and having babies right now. Since Nick and Sarah got married, Ethan and I have been going out with them every now and then.

I never would have picked them to get together but now that they are, I can see how good they are for each other.

All Nick has ever wanted is to get married and have kids. He's ticked one box now and come June, he and Sarah will have a little baby too.

Last time we saw them, the baby was all we talked about. I don't mind though; I'm pretty keen to see Nick as a father myself.

Since seeing Nick and Sarah all settled, along with Calvin and Aaron starting this new stage of their lives, I feel like I'm ready to do the same with Ethan.

Almost, anyway! I don't know that I'm ready for marriage or babies just yet but we've been together almost three years now and it's going really well.

Ethan has the patience of a saint. He was so good to me after Tessa died, when I wasn't sure about anything, including him. He could have gone and found some other girl in that time, but he hung around waiting for me instead.

And even though Ethan would probably get married tomorrow if I agreed, I don't feel like he's putting any on me pressure about it either. It's made me feel really secure about getting more serious with him.

I don't think I'm going to meet anybody else I'd rather spend my life with. I definitely feel like Ethan is the one.
So Ethan and I have decided to move in together. I really think this is a good step for us. I'm nervous about it too but only a little.

We're even talking about buying a place. We might be able to afford it. I can't believe I'm this close to owning my own house. It feels so grown-up but I guess I've been grown-up for a while now.

We're both going to stay put for a little while but we're hoping that by the time Calvin and Aaron's wedding rolls around, we'll be in our own place.

Outtakes:

Maia came home from work so mad! I don't know why but her fun and comfort were both right down in the red. You know when Sims are in such a bad mood that they won't focus on one task long enough to improve it? It was kind of like that!

Just in case you were wondering, Maia still has the hots for Aaron. It suddenly makes a lot of sense that she'd fall in love with his clone brother!

Asha seems to have passed her obsession with Aaron onto her daughter Ruby. Ruby would not leave Aaron alone at the park!

Nick's face seemed to get stuck at the restaurant (which is actually part of my downtown hotel) and it kept flickering from angry to neutral.

Or maybe he actually was angry! The waitress wasn't able to put food down on the tables, so Nick had to go into the kitchen and made his own dinner! This was a puzzle but I figured out it's the candles! I'll have to go in and put the candles on OMSPs instead, so there's still room for the plates.

Notes:
  • Title is from Butterfly by Weezer.
  • I am stunned that Maia hasn't got herself knocked up yet. She was one of the Sims I was expecting to get pregnant this round and I actually had an alternate version of this update planned out in case she did.
  • Ethan's update this round will be with Adrienne and Matilda's but I'll probably move him out with Maia soon after that. They both a few expensive things in their inventories (Maia has that $5000 fountain, Ethan has a treasure chest, possibly 2), which is why I think buying a house is probably a fairly realistic option for them. I'm excited about decorating it!
  • I have Aaron and Calvin's wedding planned for February 2032. I might do an indoor one, for a change! I'm picking out Maia's dress as we speak. I'll match the boys' suits to her dress because suits are kind of boring, lol. God...I'm hyper today. You should all be glad you don't have to deal with me in real life.
  • Does everyone else have this problem? Whenever I direct Sims to cuddle under the clouds/stars, they go out of their way to make sure they're not lying on the grass! It drives me nuts and I always move them. Calvin and Aaron just would not stay lying down though, which is why the picture I have of them was actually taken while they were in the middle of getting up!

16 comments:

  1. So many exciting news! The engagement! The moving in together! The excess use of exclamation point! Sorry, my sleep deprivation is making me a bit looney :)

    But really, I'm so excited about Aaron and Calvin getting married. They're such a sweet couple. Their day outside looked so nice too. And yay for Maia and Ethan taking that next step in their relationship. I'm surprised Maia has lasted as long as she did being the third wheel even though she gets along so well with Aaron and Calvin.

    I don't remember if my sims avoid lying on the grass when cuddling but they usually do try their best to find the most inconvenient place anyway. I don't understand why they can't just drop down wherever they are when I direct to them to do it. Why hike to the other side of the lot and hide under some trees or something so that I can't possibly get a good photo?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to ask how's the Pookleting going? Did you get it to work?

    And the excess use of exclamation point refers to my own comment, not your text. I'm insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes they surprise you, I expect some of my sims to get knocked up and then the sim that doesn't need another child gets pregnant instead :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww...that's wonderful about Aaron and Calvin getting married! Everybody seems to be getting along so well, and Ethan and Maia buying a home too. She definitely needs to give Aaron and Calvin some space!

    I get that face glitch sometimes, but it's always a frozen smile. Don't know about the cuddle animation since I rarely use it, but I remember they walk away from the spot where it begins and find someplace else to lie down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sari, let's hope I get the details of this wedding done a lot sooner than I have recently! I've been cutting it pretty close but this one should be fairly simple.

    The day outside was definitely for Aaron's benefit. It's not Calvin's thing but he knows Aaron loves it.

    Maia's feelings about Ethan really got stronger this session. When they go on dates, she's usually a normal Pleasure/Popularity Sim and rolls a bunch of platonic wants before she gets to the romantic ones. But this time, she just wanted to kiss and flirt and make out right away. It was pretty cute.

    Gah, I don't know! If the entire lot is grass, my stupid Sims will go out of their way to find the six tiles that aren't. I'm convinced they do it to irritate me at this point!

    And yes, I figured out the Pookleting! I'll probably upload a set today or tomorrow. :D

    Thanks for reading!

    Apple Valley, ha, isn't that the truth? Maia and Ethan would really need to step up the house hunt if she'd fallen pregnant this round. So I'm glad they'll have a bit more time.

    Thanks for reading!

    S.B., poor Aaron has had the marriage want for years! Calvin's never rolled it but I think they got to a point last round where he'd do it for Aaron.

    Living with Ethan will be a huge step for Maia but I think she's ready, finally, and this will be positive for her. She can be indecisive but she seems very sure about Ethan.

    It's usually a frozen smile for me too and in this case, I actually wouldn't have minded it! I would have got a lot more usable pictures! I just really couldn't think of a story reason why Nick would be so angry, lol!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay I'm happy for Aaron and Calvin! It's been a long time for them. I can't wait to see what you do for their wedding. No pretty dresses to pick out (besides Maia's) so hopefully this will be an easier one for you. And this is your first male-male marriage. Cool!

    My sims usually try their hardest to find an inconvenient spot to stargaze/watch clouds. I had Belinda and George try during their play session and instead of going to their semi-spacious backyard, they decide to go next to the driveway. Wasn't as pretty and romantic as I was hoping it'd be and I was too lazy to re-pose them lol.

    I'm also excited for Maia and Ethan and their next big step. I thought for sure they'd have an oops baby the next time we saw them. Maybe when they move in together :). At least you have about 2 sim-years before you can expect any babies from those 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An engagement *and* another couple moving in together! Lots of serious business. :) I'm glad that Calvin finally proposed--took him long enough.

    I'm also glad that Maia feels comfortable enough in her relationship with Ethan to move in with him--that's such a big step for her. I love that picture of them facing each other on the bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also get that face glitch, talk about frozen. What a great couple the guys make, How wonderful!
    They seem more at ease and together than some of the hetero couples.

    Ethan seems like a grounded, sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, it has been a long time, hasn't it? They must hate me, Aaron especially. They had their first kiss together at 12 and then I didn't let them date for another four years. Then I have them wait so long to get married, lol!

    And yep, this will be my first male-male marriage. All of my other gay males (I'll say there's at least one) are not yet old enough to even date, so it'll be a while before the next one.

    Ha, glad it's not just me! I know what you mean about being too lazy to repose them. You just can't be bothered sometimes, can you? LOL.

    I was counting on an oops baby too, as I said. I'm glad it didn't happen that way though. I think if Maia had got pregnant before she and Ethan had even moved in together, she might have freaked out. Too much, too soon.

    Thanks for reading!

    Rachel, heh, Calvin had to make sure he really wanted to propose. He's always seen Aaron has his lifelong partner but he didn't see a good reason to get married. But the good reason is that it's important to Aaron, so he did.

    I love that picture too. And this is a massive step for Maia. She's been a little bit wishy-washy but she seems like she knows what she's doing and where she wants to go with Ethan.

    Thanks for reading!

    Drew, Calvin and Aaron have known each other since they were 4 or 5 and have been a couple since they were about 16. There was some tension early on, when Calvin was out and Aaron wasn't. But they got through that and they're pretty solid now.

    Ethan's very sweet. He's a good match for Maia. I've always thought the fact that he's 4 years younger works for them, as she has a tendency to be slightly immature. She's grown up a lot in the past couple of years or so though.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I was wrong on who was getting engaged! But yay for all the couples here, moving in together, and weddings. That's funny that Maia is still quite attracted to him! I mean it makes sense, that if she was before, it wouldn't change now. Hope she isn't doing that at her own wedding someday in the future. Though somehow I imagine, as a sim, she would be. ;)

    I'm so excited for Nick and Sarah's baby! I loved seeing them all go out together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice of Calvin to want to get married, because Aaron really wants to, but that's love I suppose :D

    I'm excited about Ethan and Maia moving in together, and I can't wait to see their place!
    And now that you've said that you though Maia would get pregnant, I want them to have a baby :D

    I love the view you gave from the hotel, and I keep wondering where you got them, becasue I can't find them (you said where they are from at N99).

    Looking forward to everything mentioned in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maisie, I was sure that one of you would figure out that it was Aaron and Calvin who got engaged and not Ethan and Maia. In the picture I posted at N99, you can see Calvin's engagement ring! I didn't see it until I'd already posted it, so I figured I'd leave it up and see if anyone noticed. And they didn't!

    I guess Maia can still look, right? LOL, Aaron's a good looking guy and he does look exactly like Ethan, plus facial hair!

    I'm so excited, because I'm playing Nick and Sarah today and after I'm done, I'm doing birthdays! :D

    Thanks for reading!

    Tanja, Calvin just realised that the fact that marriage was important to Aaron was enough of a reason for him to go ahead with it.

    I went and decorated Ethan and Maia's house yesterday. They didn't have quite enough money for me to go as crazy with it as I wanted to but I can always change it a little as they get more cash. It was the first time I tried decorating using Apple Valley's decorating preferences system, so it was a challenge!

    I'm not sure what you mean by the view I gave them from the hotel? If you elaborate, I'll be happy to help you find what you're looking for though.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh a lot of GREAT pictures in this update. I can see why everyone is obsessed with Aaron. He's looking really cute here! With the curls and a bit of stubble...

    Love that picture of Maia and Ethan lying on the bed together in their PJs. So sweet. That's probably my favorite this entry. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lunar, not hard to have a crush on Aaron! He could clean up pretty well with the girls in Sullivan, if he swung that way. Maia, Asha...and little Ruby, apparently, when she's old enough!

    The picture of Ethan and Maia on the bed is one of my favourites ever. I think that's a MayPink pose and she makes the best ones.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry that I wasn't clear about it, I didn't had much sleep the night before :)

    Anyway, I meant to say that I like how the hotel is looking, and I that I like the way you decorated it.
    I would love those chairs in my game, but Dani asked about them at N99 already, and I can't find them anywhere.
    So I'm sorry that I wasn't clear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tanja, oh, don't worry about it! I just thought you were talking about the view from the hotel windows and I was confused, because you can only see one of the windows. And the view outside that window is actually completely bare!

    I wish there was an easy way to track down where a particular recolour came from. If I ever see that chair in my travels, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete