Round 35: May 2041 (Autumn)
Narrated by Lia Nott
Gabriel is still dating Bianca, which Gordon and I are allowing. Allowing very cautiously in my case.
They’ve hung out mostly in groups until recently but these days, they spend more time together alone. It makes me a little nervous.
I know they’re both reaching an age where they might be tempted to take their relationship further and I do worry.
At least I know Bianca is a genuinely nice girl. I’ve known her since she was born and I’ve watched her grow up.
She’s the kind of person I would want Gabriel to date, if I could have picked someone for him myself.
It’s comforting to know that Ione and Evan have the same rules for Gabriel and Bianca when they’re at her place as Gordon and I have when they’re at ours.
We have to know they’re visiting, there is to be no hanging out in bedrooms unless they’re working on something for school. Even then, the door has to be open.
Ione is a little more relaxed about it than I am. We always used to imagine having kids the same age and those kids ending up best friends, like we are.
That didn’t happen but having our kids end up dating is even more exciting for Ione.
I’m glad they’re happy together. I just hope they stay that way.
Georgina has been so miserable since she and Brendan broke up. I hate seeing my kids so upset.
Gordon says she’ll be fine. All teenagers go through a break-up sooner or later and she’ll survive, just like we did.
I’m sure she will but that doesn’t make it any easier in the mean time.
Brendan told her the distance and the time between seeing each other was just too much and it wasn’t working out any more.
He said he wanted to make it work but almost halfway through the year, it was only getting harder.
I don’t think Georgina was particularly surprised, as Brendan had been becoming a little distant lately.
Georgina thinks Brendan has probably met someone else and didn’t tell her to spare her feelings.
She could be right. When Gordon and I split up in college, it was because of another girl.
Georgina hasn’t flat out blamed me for the break-up but she has hinted at it. Things like “if I could have gone to visit him more often, we might still be together”.
I’m sorry she and Brendan have split up, I really am. But I’m not sorry I made that rule. I’m not having my teenage daughter doing a four hour round trip every weekend to go and see her boyfriend.
We’ve been trying to distract her with thoughts of college. That was once thrilling to her but she doesn’t seem as keen.
I think she’s worried she’ll see Brendan everywhere she turns. But Annabel and Georgina both reserved their dorm spots last year though and they’ll be in Moretti Hall, with Caitlin, rather than Novak, where Brendan lives. She’s not going to be running into him every day.
Annabel is busy convincing Georgina that there’ll be so many “hot guys” on campus that she’s not going to care about Brendan anyway.
That’s not winning Georgina over but I honestly think boys might be the only reason Annabel is even going to college.
She definitely talks about that more than any other aspect of college.
She dumped her boyfriend Simon in preparation for it and everything. There will be enough boys on campus and she doesn’t want to be waiting for someone back home.
He wasn’t thrilled, naturally, but Annabel is quite confident she made the right decision for herself.
I can’t say I’m too sad about her ending the relationship, as I really never liked Simon. I’m mostly just relieved!
Annabel is so different to me at that age. I really don’t understand her a lot of the time.
That said, I’m happy she’s finally thinking seriously about a major. Right now, the front runner is veterinary science.
Vet school is a LOT of work, so I’m not sure if it will stick, but we’re encouraging her in the hope that it does. At least until she figures out what she’d rather do instead.
Georgina would still like to teach, though she’s not sure what level or subject area she’s interested in teaching just yet.
They don’t have to nail that down until junior year though, so she’s got some time to work it out.
Peter is a bit upset about the girls leaving next year. No one’s ever moved out of the house before, so he’s not sure what will happen.
Gordon and I have explained they’re going off to school, taking special classes they can’t take here in Sullivan but he’s not too impressed.
As far as he knows, they’re leaving and never coming back, so we’ve been trying to reassure him that he’ll still see his sisters, if not as often.
He’s so, so close to Georgina especially. She helped out a lot when Peter was tiny, so they’ve always spent a lot of time together.
If ever she's not around, Peter always wants to know where she is. If she's leaving the house, he wants to go with her.
He and Annabel are close too but there’s not as much of a bond there as there is with Georgina.
I hope Peter isn’t too distraught when the girls leave.
- Title is from Banquet by Bloc Party.
- I'm generally pleased with how frequent my updates have been this year (my goal was 4 per month, which I've hit every month so far) but geez, I really should have got this out earlier than I did! They were all ready to go. I'd played this family last round, so their house was done except for Peter's room (who was a new age-up, so he still had a nursery). But I was stumped with them! I knew there was plenty I could have them do but I just couldn't get started. Once I decided to do it from Lia's perspective - mainly because I often ignore my adults once I have teens in the house - it all just fell into place.
- Annabel and Simon were a pretty crappy match to begin with. Those "break-up" pictures? Yeah, that was just a regular conversation between them. So even if Annabel wasn't so boy-crazy, it still never would have lasted.
- Georgina and Brendan...well, you probably saw this coming almost as well as I did. When I teleported Brendan in, he had zero wants for Georgina, no fear of breaking up with her and a want to get engaged to Amanda. I don't think that's anything other than infatuation (a side effect of being a Family sim is almost instant wants for engagement, lol) but it's not something that bode well for Georgina. Georgina did have the fear of breaking up but it wasn't fulfilled, seeing break-ups seem a bit broken in my game. They don't fulfill fears or create memories, which is pretty silly. Is that everyone, or just me? It happened in my loaded with hacks Sullivan 1.0 and in my not-nearly-as-many hacks Sullivan 2.0. One day, I might try to figure it out but I'm not too fussed for the mean time.
- I did the career criteria on Annabel and veterinarian was one of the options that popped up and the one I like for her best. BUT I was talking to a friend who was once a med school student and she said the big joke at med school was that dental students were the ones who couldn't get into med school and med students were the ones who couldn't get into vet school. It's very, very competitive! So whether or not I have Annabel follow that path will depend on how her grades go. If she ends up being a good student, then I'll let her go for it. If she's average or below, I'll re-assess.