Tuesday 17 January 2012

Pizza cutter

Round 32: November 2036 (Spring)
last update/next update

Miles Jacobson is 33 and Matilda is 30.
(Claudia is 55, Virginia is 46, Amar is 35, Adrienne is 29 and Alice is 10)

Narrated by Matilda Jacobson

It’s hard to believe Miles and I have been married for two and a half years now but it’s true.

It still feels like we just got married. Miles leaves for work at 9 but I always try to keep him in bed with me just a little bit longer in the mornings.

We didn’t live together before the wedding but we were lucky enough that neither of us have any habits the other finds too annoying!

Well, he does get really intense when he watches sports on TV, which I wasn’t expecting. But it’s not a dealbreaker, it’s just a little strange.

We bought this little place right after we got married and moved in straight away. It’s just a starter but I could see us staying here for a long time.

There’s not much space to throw wild parties but it’s perfect for us.

Both of us are past wanting to throw too many wild parties anyway. We lead a pretty quiet life.

Miles gets home a couple of hours before I do and can often be found in our study. He decorated that corner himself and it’s a little haphazard. He likes having a variety of artwork around him for “inspiration”.

I guess it works for him. Miles sometimes gets so absorbed in his drawing that he doesn’t even hear me come in.

I would be annoyed but he’s kind of adorable when he’s working.

We’ve discussed whether Miles would keep going with his art or go and find a “real” job. I make more than three times what he does and he wasn’t feeling so great about that at first.

I talked him out of it, ultimately. I don’t think he’d be happy doing anything else and together, we bring in enough money. It shouldn’t matter who’s bringing in more.

Until he got another job, Adrienne was supporting herself and Amar and that lasted a good few months. They seem to have come out of that okay.

I obviously don’t get to see Adrienne as much as I did when we were living together but she still comes to Sullivan pretty often.

Adrienne is still trying to break out of the stylist thing and come out with her own label. No luck yet but she's optimistic about it.

I’ve promised I’ll do some modelling on the side for her, when she has a collection ready. Adrienne thinks having my face attached to her clothes would be beneficial for sales.

I don’t know about that. I’ve been acting since I graduated and got my big break pretty quickly but it still feels strange to think anyone is all that interested in what I do.

I guess I should get used to it though. I sometimes get people approaching me in the street, who’ve recognised me from various movies I’ve been in.

They’re usually okay but sometimes they can get a little bit creepy. Some of them don’t know when to move on and leave me alone.

Ignoring them seems to do the trick. I don’t want to let the occasional creeper stop me from living my life.

After all, one of the reasons we moved to this area was that it’s so close to plenty of fun things to do. It would be a shame if we couldn’t enjoy them. Our favourite restaurant is literally right next door to our house.

We’re right near the town square as well, which is a very pretty place to just sit together and relax.

Our house is a bit small for entertaining but we do sometimes have Dad and Virginia over, just for a catch-up. There's just enough space for all five of us in our living room.

Alice loves coming over. She’s a really bright kid and she actually enjoys being the only child among adults sometimes.

She’s always really clicked with Miles as well, ever since I introduced him to my family. She feels very grown-up, telling people she has a brother-in-law!

I don’t know if it was hanging out with Alice that made him think of it, or maybe our friend Ethan becoming a dad, but a few months ago, Miles asked me what I thought about us having a baby.

I was shocked, I have to say! I think most couples probably talk about kids before they get married but Miles and I never talked much about starting a family, to be honest.

He caught me off-guard and I told him he was nuts! He wasn’t fazed and he asked me to just think about it.

So I did. Starting a family was something I assumed we’d do eventually but I’d never given much thought to when.

As I thought about it though, I started to warm to the idea of a baby sooner rather than later.

I’m 30, we’re in a good place financially and two and a half years in, I feel like Miles and I have had enough time as a couple that we won’t be missing out on anything if we have a baby now.

We also have that big empty room in the middle of our house that would be perfect for a nursery.

And most importantly, I think I just really want to be a mother and the idea of Miles as a father makes me smile.

I told Miles I wanted to start trying. It's a frightening step but I think we're both as ready as we'll ever be.

It didn’t take long for us to conceive. We’ve been trying for a couple of months and we just found out that I’m pregnant.

Pregnancy is not the most fun thing I’ve ever been through. I’m having a lot of nausea and I’m very sore a lot of the time.

But I’m using it as an excuse to take plenty of long, luxurious bubble baths, so there’s a bright side to everything.

Miles is being awesome. I'm too tired to do much of anything when I get home from work but he hasn't complained about it so far.

It’s very early days in this pregnancy but Miles and I are both so thrilled.

Notes:
  • Title is from Pizza Cutter by Letters by Cleo.
  • I've been considering a career change for Miles, because criteria-wise, art doesn't fit him the best. But he's just become an artist in my mind, so I think I'll leave him as he is.
  • Matilda and her creeper/fan was all autonomous. It would have been funnier if the fan had used that weird "Appreciate.../Worship" option that comes with a high reputation but I thought it was pretty hilarious as is.
  • Baby Jacobson is due in August 2037. I think this is the third baby I'm waiting on next round and Round 33 hasn't even started yet!
  • Some of you might have seen me mention this on Twitter a while ago (without naming the Sims involved) but Matilda and Miles both rolled a baby want quite a while ago. Miles rolled it first and then I noticed Matilda had rolled the same want a couple of sessions later. This was very surprising to me, because neither of them are Family Sims, nor do they have Family as their secondary aspiration. I've never had that happen before in Sullivan! I'm curious to see if they'll roll another one once this baby is born.

18 comments:

  1. I think I've said this when they got married, but bring on the pretty babies!

    I've found that Family and Fortune sims rolls the most baby wants. Romance and Pleasure sims rolls the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember you saying that before! No one else in the hood looks like Matilda, so I'm hoping for a mini-version of her. But Miles is very cute too, so we'll see.

      As I said, for me, if there's no Family aspiration in play, I generally do not get baby wants. This is a first for me. I'm kind of excited to see if my other non-Family Sims might start rolling baby wants.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Wow, they must really want this baby to both have rolled the want. Can't wait to see the little one, he or she will be cute as a button for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figured. If they didn't roll the want or if they were Family Sims, I might have made them wait (because Family Sims roll them all the time anyway). But for two non-Family Sims to want a baby, that seems significant to me. :)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Oh a new baby! They are so adorable and their kid will be adorable as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for this kid, lol! I think Miles and Matilda's genes might mix well. :)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. When you posted their photo on N99, I was wondering when they were going to have children :) I'm pretty glad they are starting now :)
    I love Matilda and Miles, I was really happy when you decided in making them playables! They are such a cute couple, and I'm pretty sure their children will be cute!

    I've seen other than familysims roll wants to have a baby quite a lot. I've learned that they don't roll them every time their baby ages to toddler though :) The only ones not rolling those kind of wants are romancesims, at least in my game...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before Matilda and Miles got married, I didn't think they'd jump right into having a baby but then they both rolled that want, which is so unusual for non-Family Sims in my game, and I just had to let them. I think they'll be a sweet little family.

      I don't know why the non-Family Sims so rarely roll baby wants in my game, as I know it happens in other people's games frequently enough. I hope it starts happening more often though. I never used to have Sims apart from YAs rolling engagement wants but I can think of four Sims I have right now who have locked engagement wants. So maybe the same thing will start happening with baby wants.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. These two are much too cute, haha. I love that you've given her a family. Have we seen her father and little sister before? I don't think I remember that!

    These two are going to have one cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alice is in all the school updates but Claudio doesn't feature especially often. Claudio was a townie who hooked up with a townie a long, long time ago and I let them get married. They adopted Matilda and Alice is Claudio's bio-daughter from his second marriage. So it's actually a legit family, rather than one I've thrown together, like I did with Amar and his brother. :)

      I'm excited to see Matilda and Miles's kid. They really are quite adorable together and I'm sure they'll make a great little family too.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I love the look on her face when he brings up having a baby! She just looks speechless. :)

    Their baby will be gorgeous! I'm excited for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies were not something they'd ever discussed, so that definitely took Matilda by surprise! I was pleased they both rolled the want though. It's nice to know it's something they both want. This baby feels so far away though! I can barely even think about it at the moment, lol!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Matilda is insanely beautiful and Miles is really cute as well, so I'm pretty sure they'll make the most beautiful babies. *sigh* I'm impatient now!!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impatient myself. I'm a long, long, time away from August 2037. I'm in March right now. But there are Lia and Maia's babies to meet before then, thankfully. That'll tide me over. ;)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Awww, these two are still just too cute! I love the look on her face as he's freaking out to the sports! Yes, they definitely could have ended up having dealbreaker bad habits between them, so I'm glad they don't!

    And a baby!!! Yay! They are a gorgeous pair, and I can't wait to see what their kids look like! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was hoping for a while that Matilda would pair up with a playable but she's just adorable with Miles. And that was her honest, autonomous reaction to Miles freaking out at the sports! They find each other's faults amusing for the most part, lol.

      You have no idea how much I can't wait to see this baby. Lia and Maia have both had their babies in game now (and Lia's had it on the blog too), so now I'm just desperately waiting until August, lol.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. So excited for these two! I cant wait to see what the baby looks like. I do always find these two a little funny especially with her hair like that as it makes her taller than him. The fan was great, made me miss the TS1 expansion pack, it'd be great to have for Matilda. I like that Miles is going to keep chasing his dream, hopefully it happens for him soon though with a baby on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Matilda's new hair does give her a couple of extra inches in height! Hopefully Miles isn't the type to feel emasculated by that. ;)

      Oh, I forgot about that stalker! That would have been fun to have in TS2 but I'm having fun mocking things up for Matilda as well. I wrote it another little thing with Matilda and her celebrity status in Adrienne's update, which you're about a Sim month away from right now (based on where your comments stopped).

      If Miles doesn't get a promotion before Baby Jacobson comes along, I guess Matilda will just continue to be the major breadwinner in this family for a good while yet!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete