Round 35: March 2041 (Autumn)
Jessica Royce-Nihill, Emma Gottlieb and Louisa Gentry are 21, Lauren Carmody is 20 and Caitlin Romilly is 18.
(Eddie is 21 and Declan is 20)
(Eddie is 21 and Declan is 20)
Narrated by Caitlin Romilly
I thought I’d miss my family most once I started uni but I actually miss my cat more! Plenty of times I’ve been studying on my bed and I’ve wished I had Ida snuggled beside me.
There’s plenty of human interaction here on campus but I feel like a few kitties wouldn’t go astray! That’s what I’m really missing.
Brendan and I both started at Suffolk this year but I think I’ve had it a little bit easier than he has.
He went in not really knowing anyone but I had kind of a headstart, in that I already knew Jessica pretty well.
On top of that, I’m not shy, which has made it not really very difficult to make new friends here either.
Except with Emma, apparently. She doesn’t seem too interested in making friends.
She’s civil to me but that’s about it. She hasn’t been particularly welcoming or anything.
Louisa says that’s just how she is. They’ve all been friends for years and I’m a newcomer. She thinks Emma will warm up to me eventually.
If she doesn’t, oh well. She’s a senior and will be gone next year anyway, so I’m not going to stress too much about it. It’s not like we’re at each other’s throats.
She’s with her girlfriend Heather more than anyone else, really.
Heather used to live in my dorm room but moved out at the beginning of the year in the hopes of getting a double somewhere else (which she did). You’d think they’d spend more time at Heather’s dorm but most days, it’s like Heather still lives here anyway.
Things are a little awkward around the dorm at the moment, mostly between Louisa and Lauren. Lauren recently broke up with Eddie, who happens to be Louisa’s twin brother.
Eddie was pretty cut up about the whole thing and Louisa is feeling protective. She’s not thrilled about being stuck in between either.
Lauren is sympathetic to the situation but she can’t really see what her other options were supposed to be, apart from staying in a relationship she didn’t want to be in any more.
It would have just been prolonging the inevitable.
Lauren isn’t planning on starting anything up with anybody just yet. Partly out of sensitivity to Eddie (and Louisa) and partly because she’s enjoying being unattached.
She gets a lot of attention when we go out though and I think she likes that too. I wouldn’t be impressed by a wolf whistle but whatever.
We tend to go out together quite a bit, being the two single girls in the dorm. I thought there’d be tons more guys here but the offerings seem a little disappointing so far.
I have a feeling Eddie might be developing a little thing for me, which I’m not sure what I think about.
I didn’t know him very well at school but he’s a lot of fun to talk to and is a really sweet guy.
We get along and we could definitely be friends. More? I don't know yet.
In any other circumstances, I might make a move but he’s got a bit of baggage at the moment that I’m not sure I want to deal with.
Lauren has noticed how Eddie is around me and is hoping it means he’ll move on soon.
If he does, it’s not going to be with me. Showing interest in someone doesn’t mean he’s in a good position to actually date.
I don’t want to end up as anyone’s rebound girl. If Eddie’s still interested when he gets over Lauren, then maybe we can talk.
Until then, I’m content to stick with my girls’ nights (and afternoons!) out.
However, I’m starting to think I might need to have fewer girls’ nights out and more nights in studying!
I already totally spaced on handing in one of my papers. It was worth enough of my grade that I now cannot get any higher than a B+ this semester.
I don’t think that’s such a terrible grade but I know Dad won’t agree, once I get around to telling him.
Normally, Declan would be lecturing me as well but he’s too busy fretting about his own grade at the moment.
He’s due to get his first B ever this semester and he’s totally freaking out about it. His GPA has dropped to 3.8 and he’s just not having it.
Except he has to. He even went to try and talk his professor into a higher grade but she wouldn’t budge.
Jessica has tried consoling him with the fact that he can still graduate with honours but he’s inconsolable.
He’s going on to do his Master’s next year anyway, so his GPA doesn’t seem that important to me. Time has proven than Declan and I have very different attitudes towards school though and this might just be something I’ll never get.
- Title is from Run Devil Run by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins.
- Caitlin's only wants for anyone back at home were for Ida, the family cat. Finn and Victoria got her right before they got married, when Caitlin was 2 or 3. So Caitlin really hasn’t known life without Ida, lol! It's pretty sweet, really.
- I did have to stop some ACR action with Caitlin and Eddie this round. If they try again next time, I'll allow it but I thought it was a little bit too soon. Especially seeing the wants are mostly one-sided; Eddie's rolling many more for Caitlin than she is for him. I do think there's something there though, so I guess there'll be more of that next round.
- That dormie in the bar was flirting with Lauren autonomously. She was lapping it all up but she did not roll a single romantic want for the entire session (and uni sessions are long!) I was expecting her Romance side to come out in full force but instead, her Knowledge secondary dominated.
- Jessica and Emma are officially done with uni. Jessica is the only one of the girls with a 4.0 GPA but Emma is also graduating with honours and a 3.8. Louisa should have been finished too but due to her one semester of academic probation, she's hanging back another year with Lauren. Lauren also has a 3.8, while Louisa's GPA is at 3.5. Caitlin's GPA is the lowest at 3.3, because the girl really doesn't like writing term papers! As long as she passes, I'll be satisfied, though I can't say Finn will feel the same. ;)