Round 35: August 2041 (Winter)
Evan Moretti is 52, Ione is 45, Aurora and Bianca are 15 and Francesca is 7.
(Matthew is 16 and Gabriel is 14)
(Matthew is 16 and Gabriel is 14)
Narrated by Aurora Moretti
Francesca has become quite the budding scientist. She got an ant farm for her birthday in February and she is still obsessed with it.
And no one is allowed to watch anything other than science shows on TV when she’s around.
She’s constantly conducting “experiments”, the most recent of which found her coming through the back door, in her swimsuit, almost frozen solid!
Once she warmed up, she told Mum she was out there “observing the wildlife”. The swimsuit was so she wouldn't get her clothes dirty.
Mum asked if the swimsuit was maybe because Francesca was distracted from her scientific research by the Water Wiggler in the backyard! But of course, Francesca insisted she was wrong.
Mum made the Water Wiggler for all of us years ago and Francesca can’t wait for it to get warmer so she can use it again.
Mum has been working really hard on her toys, still hoping to reach her dream of owning her own store.
She has been selling some of her toys online, hoping to save up the money a bit faster.
She already knows exactly the shop she wants to buy. Dad says they can probably buy it within the next year or so, with a small loan.
Mum’s a bit reluctant about the loan, because Uncle Finn is always in her ear about taking on debt but Dad says if they’re smart, they’ll be able to pay it back in no time. But he’s leaving it totally up to Mum.
I hope she just goes for it. She gets so excited even talking about it and I know it’s what she really and truly wants to do.
If I ever figure out what I really want to do, I’m going to jump on it so fast. Right now though, I don't have a concrete plan, except I know I want to go to uni.
Matthew says he’s going to be the mayor one day, no question. He’s very confident about this.
If I still don’t know what I want to do by the time that comes to pass, he’s told me I can be his deputy mayor.
Sweet but I really don’t think that’s the job for me. It sounds so boring, to be quite honest, not that I said that to him.
Dad was telling me about how he and Mum used to fix up cars and sell them, back when they had no money when they first got married. Now that...that’s something I might like to try!
Maybe not fixing up wrecks and selling them but maybe become a mechanic one day. It seems like something I could enjoy.
I told Matthew about it and he wasn't particularly impressed, to say the least. He thinks it’s pointless to go to uni and then be “just” a mechanic at the end of it.
I don't know what's wrong with being "just" a mechanic" or going to college simply for the experience but Matthew didn't seem to agree.
I wasn't very impressed with him after that, so I told him to just go home and I’d talk to him later. I want to go to college for the experience
He did call later to apologise, which is something. I'm still not sure if he apologised because he was sorry or because he wanted me to stop being mad at him.
I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now and assume he was being genuine. He has a tendency to be insensitive sometimes and speak without thinking.
Bianca was pretty angry when I told her about it. She’s the younger twin but we both act like protective big sisters for each other when we deem it necessary.
She wanted to get Gabriel to talk to Matthew for me and set him straight. Even if I thought that was necessary, I don’t know that Gabriel would be up for the job.
Gabriel is a really good guy but he really doesn't like any sort of conflict or confrontation.
He is also very reserved - almost as much as Bianca - which makes them a pretty perfect match in my eyes.
But confronting Matthew? Probably a bad idea. They don’t even get along particularly well, so I don't think Matthew would listen to anything Gabriel had to say anyway.
I feel supported by everyone else, so if he’s going to continue to be a jerk about it (while I hope he won’t), my family has my back.
Especially Mum. Mum is awesome. She keeps telling me there is no rush for me to decide what I want to do, even if it seems like everyone else already knows.
She started out as a cop, was let go, started working at the library with her friend Lia and now she’s looking into this toy shop thing very seriously.
So basically, I have time to decide and even after I have, I have time to change my mind too.
- Title is from Deep Talk in the Shallow End by Ben Lee.
- I think Ione might be able to open her shop next round, with probably a $10,000-15,000 loan. That's manageable enough for them to take on at this point, I think. Exciting!
- Francesca autonomously went out to use the Water Wiggler. More than once. When she came in all frozen like that, I thought I had to write it in somehow, lol!
- Aurora really, really wants to go to college, which I feel is relatively significant for a Family/Pleasure sim, so I'll definitely send her, no matter what career she goes into. Auto Mechanic came up 5/5 when I ran the careers criteria on Aurora. She had some other perfect matches too but I can't actually see her taking any of them up. Mechanic though, I can see! I wish I had space in this house for a second driveway, so I could get her a fixer-upper.
- Matthew is kind of a jerk. As soon as Aurora started talking about work and school, he got all pissy like that. They actually have really good chemistry but I'm not sure how long they'll last, given all this!
- Also, I have a busy weekend ahead, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't respond to comments quickly or if the household profile for this family isn't up yet. Both will get done but you just might have to be patient. :)