Round 34: March 2040 (Autumn)last update/Mitchell's next update/next update
(Eliot is 54, Cordy is 47 and Lauren is 19)
Narrated by Tim Lane
At the end of last year, Mitchell’s girlfriend Dixie decided to transfer to another university for her senior year, so they’ve been doing the long distance thing this semester.
All contact so far as been through phone calls, texts and e-mails.
We’re only a few weeks into the semester though and the texts have already gone from multiple messages a day to sometimes not even one.
More often than not, he’ll try to call her and her phone goes straight to voicemail. He leaves messages but she rarely returns them.
He’s trying to stay upbeat about it but it’s weighing on his mind. I think he’s starting to feel like she’s ending it without saying as much. Mitchell thinks maybe she’s met someone else, or she wants to.
He knew it was possible that they could end up breaking up if they tried the long distance thing but he’s at the point where he just wants to know for sure.
Mitchell is a senior this year, so he’s keeping himself pretty busy. He has classes to keep up with, as well as his apprenticeship at Front Page in Sullivan.
It’s got to be hard for him to concentrate on his coursework with everything going on with Dixie. He’s so close to the end though that I think he’s just powering through.
I have to admit though, his cooking is definitely a bit off lately. He normally cooks everything for all three of us and it’s great but not this semester.
Eddie and I have been trying to take him out and take his mind off things, when he has the time.
That time can be limited but if we didn’t drag him out, he would spend all of his downtime studying, or waiting on Dixie to get in touch.
Eddie has finally picked a major and he ended up choosing Political Science. He’s not sure where he’s going with it yet but he has plenty of options open to him. He’s now busy trying to catch up with the other Poli Sci students who all chose their majors two years ago.
Eddie is really enjoying it though. I’m happy for him but I wish he’d stop piping up with random tidbits from his textbooks, just as I’m dozing off on the couch.
Lauren has a lot more patience for that than I do. She’s probably just happy he actually picked something! She’d been pestering him about nailing something down for a while now.
She decided on her major while she was still in high school, so the idea of drifting along taking general classes with no direction was foreign to her.
People often don’t realise how serious Lauren is about her school work, because she doesn’t really appear to be serious about much else!
Mitchell has known her for her entire life and even he forgets sometimes.
She does a pretty good job of taking care of herself, so Mitchell doesn’t get to play big brother too often. Not that he doesn’t try.
I’m still with Marius and it’s going really well for us.
We had our first big fight a couple of weeks back, when I totally spaced on a dinner date we’d planned and inadvertently stood him up. I got caught up studying with my phone turned off and by the time I realised what had happened, it was way too late!
Marius was not impressed at all. He was pissed all next day and I didn’t know if he’d ever actually return my call.
He did, finally, though and came over reluctantly to let me apologise to him.
I think I’m forgiven now. I don’t think Marius is totally convinced that I could just completely forget to show up somewhere but he’s letting it go, at least.
He let me make it up to him with a do-over of the date that never was the next night.
We had a great time. It felt good to get back on track together.
In general, Marius is quite understanding when I get wrapped in my studies. I still have almost two years before medical school but it’s on my mind constantly. Marius us aiming for a Master’s in Architecture after we graduate. A completely different field to medicine but he understands that sort of drive.
Marius has been getting to know all of my friends for the past year. That’s all gone well, but he still hadn’t met any of my family. Seeing our plans to head back home for a visit kept falling through, I invited Mum and Dad here instead.
I think being able to just meet my parents, without my brothers and sister hanging around too, turned out for the best anyway. It let Mum and Dad really get to know Marius and talk to him without interruptions. At home, Charlotte is almost always starting a fight with either Simon or Matthew and Mum or Dad will have to go and adjudicate.
It went even better than I could have expected. Dad and Marius really got along. They’re both very interested in politics and they seem to agree on most of the major issues they talked about. People say you’re not supposed to talk about religion or politics with people you’ve just met but Dad always does anyway!
Mum just loves it that my boyfriend is a brain. She’s happy I’m happy, of course, but that’s a big bonus for her.
Our next step will be a proper meeting with the whole family there. Now that I know my parents approve though, I’m not nearly so nervous about introducing Marius to everyone else. I’m totally confident that it will all go just fine.
- Title is from Where Are You? By Caviar.
- Dixie was the other sim I forgot to extract from Sullivan 1.0. :( By the time I thought of putting my back-up in and extracting her from that, I was already figuring out what to do with her absence. So I just took it as a sign and went with it. Mitchell is a Family sim and they are worse than Romance sims when they're not in love with somebody. So Mitchell was pretty depressed this round - I don't think he ever got above low green. :( Sorry Mitchell. I’ll make it up to you one day! It was unlikely that he would have ended up with Dixie anyway, as he is a non-Moretti guy, which makes him a hot commodity for the girls of this generation! And I prefer matching playables with playables, where I can. I have so damn many of them!
- I have ideas for who Mitchell might end up with next but it’s going to depend on who he takes a fancy to, mostly. I have my preference ;) but I don’t know if he (or she!) will agree.
- You’ll have to forgive me if I’d already picked a major for Eddie. As far as I could remember, I hadn’t and I certainly didn’t have it in my notes and didn’t see any mention of it in the previous updates either. But I’m not ignoring the possibility that I missed it, so I apologise in advance if I did. For as long as it’s been since I’ve played, I’m doing okay at remembering all the bits and pieces about my sims but there are bound to be things I forget.
- Tim and Marius’s fight was game play. Tim called Marius to ask him on a date, the taxi came and gave him like 10 seconds to get there, which he failed to do. So then Marius was FURIOUS and I got this pop-up from Marius telling Tim that he shouldn't bother calling him again. Oops. But it was the game’s fault, just like the time it happened with Hope and Malcolm all those years ago. Tim and Marius aren’t both huge assholes like Hope and Malcolm are though ;), so it didn’t cause a break-up. Marius just had some serious kissing up to do (literal and figurative, I guess).