Monday 19 July 2021

Born secular

Round 37: November 2046

Mitchell Carmody is 27 and Eddie Gentry and Tim Lane are 26.
Malcolm is 36, Marius is 26, Lauren is 25 and Caitlin is 23. 


Tim had planned to be in his own place, living with Marius by this point in time but it hasn’t worked out that way. 

He and Marius both feel ready to go but their finances and time constraints haven’t yet allowed it.

Tim thought he’d have more time once he graduated from med school but he’s not sure what he was thinking now. 

He’s juggling just as many plates as a first year resident (his specialty is paediatrics) as he was as an intern. 

Some nights, he doesn’t get home at all, because he’s on call at the hospital. He tries to grab a couple of winks when things are quiet…but that is a rarity!

His cousin Malcolm is a doctor and Tim truly doesn’t understand how he found the time to buy a house, get married and have two kids. 

Marius is a little more positive and is confident they’ll figure it all out eventually. 

Mitchell is enjoying his job as an executive chef and although he works some long hours, he has more free time than poor Tim.

A lot of that free time is spent with his girlfriend Caitlin, who he’s been with for two years now. 

Two years might seem like a short time to some but not to Mitchell or Caitlin. It feels like they’ve been together for much longer. 

They’ve already talked about getting married one day but their more immediate plan is to get their own place together. 

Cash is not something either of them have a lot of, so they’re not expecting to buy anything amazing but they’re just looking forward to setting up house together. 

Caitlin would love to move back to Exeter and be closer to her parents. 

Mitchell thinks finding a place nearer to where Caitlin is living now, in the suburbs of Sullivan, might be a more realistic plan for them. 

They’ve agreed to at least look at places in Exeter but his preliminary research doesn’t lead Mitchell to think there is much around in their price range. 

It’s an exciting time nonetheless. They’ve been to the bank and been approved for a modest loan of $49000. Hopefully they can find something suitable for that price. 

Eddie is just coasting along quite happily. He’s still working long hours at the fire station but he loves his job.

Exhausting as his hours can be - he’s worked nights for a long while now - he doesn’t mind too much. 

Eddie and Lauren are still together but neither are keen to move the relationship into a more serious place just yet.

As much as he loves Lauren, he can’t imagine taking that next step right now and is relieved she feels the same way. 

He wouldn’t mind someone to help pay the rent though, once Mitchell and Tim move out which will probably happen within the next year. 

Tim has suggested having his brothers, Matthew and Simon move in to take his and Mitchell’s places. 

They’re still at uni right now but will be graduating soon. 

Eddie doesn’t really know Matthew or Simon that well but his only other option would be putting out an ad and getting complete strangers to move in. Maybe this could work. 

Notes:
  • Title is from Born Secular by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins. 
  • I'm trying something new with the updates. This style of update is easier for me to write, so at least while I am so short on time, I'm going to try doing them this way. I'm not sure if future family updates will be separate like this one or bundled in with birthdays. I'll probably just play it by ear. 
  • Mitchell and Caitlin have had marriage wants since not long after I first sent them on a date, so I'm giving in. Go set up house, get married and have babies! They're not engaged yet but I'm thinking I'll let them do that soon. 
  • Tim has a marriage want too, while Marius has an engagement want...because I realised this round that I never bothered aging him up from YA! So he's been a student for 8 years now, poor guy. I'm excited to set both these couples up with houses, so I'll get started with that soonish. 

8 comments:

  1. So great to see a new update from you! And such a fun update too. Great to see the boys doing so well. It sounds like Mitchell and Caitlin are very determined to start a new chapter in their lives and I'm glad you're giving in and letting them. I absolutely adore Tim and Marius, and Eddie and Lauren seem to be perfectly on the same page in their relationship which is always nice.

    Playing it by ear sounds like a wonderful plan. I'm really enjoying playing and writing updates after I gave up on my idea of what an update should be like. Whatever keeps you stress-free and updating is perfect because this is supposed to be fun, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know I can rarely say no to a wedding! I'm a big sucker. So if my sims are asking for one...who am I to deny them?

      Totally agree! Write updates however is easiest and most enjoyable! This is working for me right now but something else might work in the future. I don't want it to become a chore and my old style had become that, unfortunately. The next update might still be a bit delayed but only because I have to decorate an enormous house before I do it! So it's a fun reason to be delayed, at least. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I missed this story and your Sims <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's nice to hear! Hopefully I can get some updates out in a more timely fashion with this new update style so you won't have to miss them so much in the future.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, $49k would get my sims a very nice house. Definitely better than a starter home, so I’m interested to see what Mitchell and Caitlin get for that price! Looking forward to their eventual wedding and babies! (Btw, Caitlin’s shirt looks so pretty on her, with her skintone and hair color!)

    Tim is lucky that Marius is not only willing to wait for him, but also patient and optimistic about it. Lucky for Eddie and Lauren, too, that they’re on the same page about taking things easy. But what will Eddie do when both of his roomies move on with their significant others?

    Glad you are finding the new writing style working for you! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be able to get them something fairly decent for $49K (plus whatever they end up with when they move out) but I'll have to hunt around! The last few times I've looked for houses, it was for large homes for sims with a lot more money!

      Very likely Matthew and Simon will move in with Eddie as I need somewhere for them to live anyway. It makes sense for them to move in here, as they have that "link" in Tim and I can imagine he might have said something to them. Essentially, I miss my old rotating roster of roomies I had back in the day when Luc, Rose, Joanna and co were young and I want to recreate it, lol! That was fun.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to see so many updates available to read! Your sims always inspire me to get back into playing! I have to say, I know Malcolm is a little messy (and I love his scruff), but I totally chuckled out loud when I read how Malcolm bought a house, got married, and had kids, cause Malcolm looks like he did all those things, but that he's barely getting any sleep any night, let alone shaving. I really adore Malcolm. <3

    I'm excited for all these couples and their different stages in life! It's nice they aren't all looking to get married and settle down, it's nice when it's their own pacing. This is a good group of roommates with quite a variety of jobs and personalities. I'm looking forward to watching them move in with new roommates/settle down with significant others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been semi-okay getting updates out since I switched up how to do them, so hopefully you'll have at least one more to read once you catch up (if not immediately after, then soon). It means the updates are shorter but I can get them out more frequently.

      LOL, I did not consider that angle on Tim and Malcolm's conversation at all but you're totally right! I'm sure Malcolm is permanently exhausted and Tim can't see through his own exhaustion to realise!

      I'm very excited about these couples too! Your comment reminded me I still need to decorate a house for Tim and Marius. That should be fun, as I've never decorated anything for Marius, so I have no idea what ideas of "his" might come to mind as I go!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete