Thursday 8 August 2019

No sunlight

Round 37: March 2046 (Autumn)

Alice Jacobson and Sylvia Draper are 20 and Ramona Nihill and Ruby Lane are 19.
(Simon is 21 and Jon is 19)


Narrated by Sylvia Draper

People were surprised when I got together with Simon. He’s not the kind of guy anyone imagined me getting together with.


Honestly though, I didn’t expect it either! But expected or not, we’ve been really happy together. 

He hasn’t had the greatest effect on my grades though, I have to admit. 

I thought I’d be getting straight As at uni without really trying, like I did in high school. Turns out uni is harder, especially when you’re so tempted to spend your time not studying.

Simon basically never studies, so it’s not like we can study together to try to keep each other on track.

We’ve been together a year now though and I’ve decided it’s really time to buckle down and get my GPA up where it should be. 

Simon has more of a "C is a degree" kind of mindset. He doesn’t quite get my desire for perfect grades but he’s trying to be supportive.

He usually goes back to his dorm and practises guitar when I tell him I need to get some work done. 

This is Simon’s final year. He’ll graduate but he’s not going to be getting honours any time soon.

Alice is dating someone again. She was a bit cautious after Matthew and I was feeling a bit protective of her but Adrian seems decent.

I’d never met him before but Simon told me his ex’s twin sister dated him for a couple of years. He didn’t know him that well but he came across as a pretty nice guy.

It’s only been a few months but Alice is ecstatic and things are going well for them.

The only catch is that he works full time and Alice has a few evening classes this semester, so it can be hard for them to see each other during the week. 

But they get by. Simon and I will be in the same position next year, once he graduates.

Although I have no idea what kinds of hours Simon will be working. He wants to get into the music industry and he’s not sure yet where he’s going to start.

His uncle is pretty successful but Simon wants to make it on his own, without too much help from him.

Simon’s cousin Ruby is his exact opposite in that respect. She’s already planning on using her dad’s connections to further her fashion career.

She’s not sure exactly how but she just knows it’ll help in some way.

Ruby is semi-dating this guy named Ian, who lives here on campus.

She doesn’t look like she’s that into him, really. I think he’s mostly just convenient. 

She hasn’t been as impressed as she thought she would be with the guys here at uni.

We did have a new guy start here on campus this year but unfortunately for Ruby, he’s very much spoken for.

His name is Jonathan or Jon, as he prefers to be called, and he’s dating Ruby’s best friend, Ramona.

They used to date in high school, broke up and then got back into contact last year.

They eventually decided breaking up was a mistake and Jon started getting all his ducks in a row to transfer here so they could be together.

You’d have to be really hoping the relationship worked out after all that effort! 

Notes:
  • Title is from No Sunlight by Death Cab For Cutie.
  • Alice's GPA is 4.0, Ramona's is 3.8, Ruby's is still 3.3 (and probably will never go up, seeing she never rolls wants to do anything class-related ever - she earns her entire grade just by automatically going to class) and Sylvia did indeed raise her GPA to a very respectable 3.6, up from 3.4. 
  • I have never seen a sim as uninterested in the sim they're dating as Ruby. She rolls no wants for this poor guy, who has the want to get ENGAGED to her! So they're not going to last long, lol!
  • Jon (who is now Jon instead of Jonathan so I don't get him confused with Connor and Lila's son Jonathan, for tagging purposes) and Ramona on the other hand are very into each other! I really was just going to give him a complete makeover and leave him as a teen but Ramona was very insistent! They roll wants for each other all the time and basically can't keep their hands off each other. 
  • Jon is currently living in this dorm, just to make things easy for me but that may be rearranged by the next time we pop into the uni kids. I'm sick of both of my dorms and I'm still deciding whether I just want to redecorate, whether I want to overhaul an EA dorm or download a new one. Technically, this one should be a single-sex dorm, as there's only one bathroom. 
  • Not promising anything but I am going to attempt to get some kind of a queue going for Sullivan. I'm pretty unhappy with how sparse my updates have been for the past several months. :\ Next update is April birthdays, so I can hopefully get that one prepared pretty fast, queue it and then maybe start on the next story update and get some momentum going that way. Fingers crossed!

13 comments:

  1. Ramona and Jon look adorable together! So do Simon and Sylvia and I have to remember 'C is a degree'. I feel sorry for Ian since from the shot where he's looking longingly at Ruby, he's unfortunately besotted. Really everyone seems to be doing relatively okay (except Ian).

    I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with a different dorm. You always come up with great ideas and wonderful decorating. I always enjoy your updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm incredibly charmed by Jon and Ramona now. I really didn't care much about him when they were in high school. Simon and Sylvia got themselves together. Sometimes Sims make terrible decisions when they do that but it seems to work for them.

      Yes, poor Ian! Hopefully one of my other girls or even a townie takes a liking to him. His not-really-a-relationship with Ruby has me feeling bad for the guy!

      I've started the dorm but it'll probably be a while before I finish it. I'm chugging along though.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Sylvia and Simon sound like opposites but they are cute together. I wonder if Simon's more relaxed persona might end up annoying Sylvia. lol He could probably take some pointers from her so that he can get a better grade but he seems a bit too aloof too even care.

    Ruby might have her standards too high but sometimes that can be a good thing. If there aren't any suitable boys to distract her then she can focus on her studies and try to get that grade up. ;)

    Great to see an update! Don't pressure yourself though, just do what feels right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that is a possibility with Simon and Sylvia! Simon just does not care about his grades at all. I see him as the type who went to uni for the experience and to avoid having to think about a career for a few years, rather than for the academics!

      Honestly, I need to create some cute townies and dump them into my uni. There are really not a ton of guys who Ruby gels with!

      No, no pressure - just want to get the hood moving at a slightly-less-than-glacial pace!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Jon and Ramona are so cute! Even though Simon wants to make his own way, he can be so laid back because of his uncle's success, and still hope to get into a competitive industry. Although I'm not sure the music industry is looking for great grades as much as creativity, talent, and maybe connections.

    I was excited to see this post, and that you are overhauling a dorm. If you get a chance I'd love to see a tour, but I agree with Jennifer, no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Simon and Sylvia are so cute together! It's good that he'll let her have some time to study when she needs it.

    LOL at the guy thinking Ruby is his future wife and her not rolling anything for him! At least she's going out on dates and trying to see what interests her. Maybe she'll meet the perfect guy after she's out of school and back into the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon is pretty laid back. Not a clinger, that one!

      Rarely have I seen a couple whose wants are so different as with Ian and Ruby! As I said to Jennifer, I just need some more townies! Ruby really doesn't have a lot of choice. Ian is one of the only guys on campus who she's not related to and has decent chemistry with (not that the chemistry is helping!)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Hi Carla, I wrote a comment the other day that said it would post when approved - perhaps I was signed in as anonymous.

    Seeing your dorm post on Tumblr was really cool and I'd love to see a tour sometime if you wanted to post one.

    Sylvia seems content with Simon despite their differences. It will be helpful to her to bring up her GPA, even if Simon isn't motivated to excel. Maybe the music industry is looking more for creativity than someone who has classic credentials like good grades, plus, even if he doesn't want to rely on it, he does have connections.

    I need more townies too! It's a real bind sometimes, not having them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shannon, sorry! I usually approve them right from my email but the notification for your first one disappeared somehow and until your second comment, I thought I'd imagined you leaving the first! Both were in my queue though, so I just went ahead and approved both.

      Definitely will do a tour once I'm done with the dorm! It might be nice to have that little extra something in my queue. I have a birthdays post ready to go for the end of the week but if I can finish the dorm, I could have a little buffer between birthdays and the next post.

      Sylvia and Simon are very happy and Sylvia rolls a lot of wants for him, considering neither of her aspirations are that romance-focused (I think Simon has Family secondary, so it's more understandable for him). I think I'm going to put him in the custom Rock Star career after college. It's a more natural progression than the EA Music career and there's no genre-hopping either.

      It's so hard not to add more and more townies to the game constantly! I'm kind of addicted to it in TS4, because it's so easy to do! That game just doesn't have the charm as TS2 though. :) I was happy to come back to this, after quite a break from it!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. No problem about the comment; I was a little worried that this one might disappear too and that's the only reason I said something about it :-)

      Totally agree about TS4 being easy for adding townies and I do miss CAS from Sims 4. CAS in Sims 4 is really enjoyable. Otherwise, I don't really miss anything else since I quit playing Sims 4 about a year ago. I've thought about getting Island Adventure just 'cause it looks so pretty, and probably will get it around the holidays if there's a big sale. Just enjoying Sims 2 for now.

      Delete
    3. I like most of CAS in Sims 4, except what is the most essential part, which is the actual creation of the face. I find the push-pull system to be really imprecise and I always miss sliders when I try to create a TS4 sim! Other than that, CAS is fun. I sometimes spend entire TS4 play sessions just making over townies, lol!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I feel your statement on being bored with your dorms. I recently redecorated my old dorm that Oliver, Meg, Peter, etc lived in. I needed some variety.

    Jon is a cutie, and it's sweet how attached they are to one another. It's fun when sims show us how they are feeling, even if it is uninterested like Ruby is in her beau. It'll be even more special when she starts to like someone!

    Simon and Sylvia are cute together, but they are a surprise coupling. I guess opposites do attract, and they won't be in school forever, so study skills aren't the most important. I can see Ruby totally using her Dad's fame to further her career. I'm sure just getting her name out attached to his will help, Liv Tyler did that with her Dad's fame even if she meant to or not. People are just interested in that sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dorm is kind of annoying. I love the shell design...but it has an elevator and no stairs. If I'm sending my sims upstairs to go to bed, it takes forever. EA, in their infinite wisdom, didn't think it was necessary to allow more than one sim at a time to use the elevators. Learned my lesson. No more elevators in dorms! The EA dorm I'm currently redoing is actually only one level anyway, so there'll be no stairs or elevators. :)

      I was very, very surprised Jon and Ramona have become so intertwined. They really never seemed that into each other in high school. I guess absence really does make the heart go fonder. Maybe poor Ian should go on a student exchange and see if it sparks some interest in Ruby!

      Yes and in the same way, Simon's ties to Luc might help his career anyway, even if doesn't seek out any assistance. I'll see how quick he climbs the ladder once I have him working! I'll probably stick him in the Rock Star career, rather than the EA Music career. I don't love the progression in the EA career.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete