Friday 14 April 2017

Porcelain

Round 36: June 2044
Lachance 2 household profile

Jonas Lachance is 66, Tatiana is 61 and Edward and Lucy are 29.
(Corbin and Pamela are 59, Dominic and Sam are 34, Leslie and Julia is 33, Chris is 29, Veronica is 27 and Penny is 3 months old)


Narrated by Lucy Lachance


I was already an aunty a few times over to Edward’s siblings’ kids but it seems a little bit more special to finally be an aunty on my side of the family.


I go over and see Julia and Penny as much as I can. She’s still on maternity leave, so whenever I have a day off during the week, that’s where I am. It's really brought us closer together. 

Julia has adjusted really well to motherhood, though she gives some of the credit for that to Sam. Having someone around who already knew what to do with a baby has been a definite advantage!

Hopefully Sam and Julia can give me and Edward some tips once our two arrive.

Julia’s not so sure she’ll be very helpful with twins but she is really excited for us.

And for herself. Sam has no siblings and I’m her only, so she’s never done the aunty thing before.

Every time I see her, she’s bought me more gifts for the twins. Last time it was crib bedding. 

Edward and I have just got the nurseries ready for the babies.

At first, I thought it might be easier to have them both in the same room but seeing we’ve got the space, we might as well use it. We can always move them in together if it seems like a better idea.

Since moving in with Jonas and Tatiana, we really haven’t had any complaints. 

It’s nice to have the financial security of sharing Edward’s parents’ place, while still having our own area to retreat to.

We can have our own guests over, without bothering anybody else. We don’t have a lot of guests generally but we do have Chris and Veronica over a fair bit. 

We never got to know her that well when we were living with Chris but they’re a lot more serious now.

Our floor is almost like having our own apartment anyway. It’s definitely much bigger than the apartment we shared with Chris.

The only thing we’re missing is a kitchen. We have to share the kitchen with Jonas and Tatiana, so we we end up eating dinner together most nights.

But once a week or so, Edward and I will order pizza or Chinese and take it up to our living area to eat it.

Normally, we’d go out on a date instead but this pregnancy is really taking it out of me! I need to be within range of a bed or a couch I can nap on.

That’s making work pretty hard at the moment, though I am still working my regular hours at the salon.

Edward has been wanting me to go part-time but I feel like I’m letting Kimberly down if I do that.

I’m the manager now, so it’s a big job to hand on to someone else.

Edward pointed out that I’m eventually going to have to find someone anyway, once the twins get here, so I might as well start looking.

My parents are on my back about it too and I have a big problem saying no to them.

I’m not mad though. I know they’re all right and I need to slow down. It’s definitely getting too much for me.

So I’ve put up an ad to find somebody to replace me. I need to take care of myself and the babies. 

Our family is feeling a bit cautious about pregnancy now, after Leslie and Dominic lost their baby a few months back.

It was such a shock for us all, no one more than Leslie and Dominic. 

The whole family has rallied around them and offered any support we could. 

Leslie was being pretty careful - she was still at work but with a student teacher handling the class most of the time - and the worst still happened, so it’s really shown us all how scary pregnancy can be.

Edward and I are so excited to meet our twins…but we also feel a little guilty if we show too much excitement around Leslie or Dominic.

They’ve both told us we can talk about anything we want to talk about but it’s hard to gush about our babies in front of people who’ve just lost one. We don’t avoid the topic entirely but we’re very careful about what we say and how we say it.

It’s difficult, because really, the twins are the main thing we think about and talk about these days.

Even so many weeks in, I don’t think we’ve quite accepted the fact that we’re about to be parents to two babies!

I’m not sure if we’ll ever be 100% ready for what’s to come but we’re excited to start this new phase in our lives. 


Notes:
  • Title is from Porcelain by Moby.
  • This house is so weirdly dark, during the day and at night! I think I need to add more ceiling lights (though I don't know why this place seems to need so many more than my other houses). I added some more and then ended up taking them out, because they all hang down so damn low that my sims' heads go through them when they walk under. :\ 
  • Leslie's student teacher would have been Georgina. She's at that point in her program - I just haven't done school updates lately to show it off!
  • There was hardly any Jonas and Tatiana in this, because I was watching Lucy like a hawk! I was so worried about her and the twins that I didn't even make her selectable at work, just in case miscarriages were possible on community lots! But she and the babies made it through the session unscathed, so mission accomplished!


10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Lucy is doing ok. Are twin pregnancies even more taxing in Sims 2, I can't remember... in real life, they sure seem to be from what I've heard. It was fun to see her at work though, so I'm glad you figured out a way to do that safely.

    It would be so tough at times to balance the excitement about the babies with sensitivity to Leslie and Dominic, although I'm sure Lucy and Edward are quite mindful of it too, from a story point of view. Do relatives get fears or memories of miscarriages?

    That lighting thing is weird. I kind of wondered why it was so dark, and thought maybe they were scrimping on the utility bill, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never noticed much of a difference with twin pregnancies in TS2 but they can definitely be much more difficult in real life. My cousin had twins last year and it was quite hard on her. It would have been a fun addition to the game, especially before we had mods to figure out how many babies sims were having. "Is this sim just really unlucky or is it twins?"

      The Lachances are a very tight-knit, sweet family, so that's one thing in Dominic and Leslie's favour. Everyone has been as sensitive as they can be. The pregnant sim and I think their partner will get a memory of the miscarriage but I don't think anyone else does. There are no wants or fears associated with miscarriages though. I'm not sure any mod ever added brand new wants or fears, actually.

      I might have to track down some invisible ceiling lights for this place. It's too dark and I can't add more lights without it looking strange. :\

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Hi I've just finished reading Sullivan from the beginning (it took me a couple of months) and just wanted to say how much I have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's impressive! I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying the blog. :) Hopefully you enjoy what I have planned for the future as well.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Omg, I soooo love that Moby song!! Love so many of his songs, big fan! lol

    Lovely update and so exciting for the Lachance's having twins! Interested to see if they have two of the same sex or one of each. It's nice that they are a close family and very supportive of each other.

    I find most of the ceiling lights in TS3 don't give enough light either, even when they are set to the brightest. I tend to go overboard with lights sometimes. lol But I know what you mean about some of the ceiling lights hanging too low. So annoying! I have one piece of cc that I swear by and use all the time, it's a ceiling spotlight by DOT. It's unobtrusive and gives off the most perfect light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there was a period of three or four weeks while I was at uni when I did little else but listen to "18"!

      I'm hoping Edward and Lucy have two girls, just because that is the rarest combination in my hood. And I like my girls' names better than my boys' names! But we'll see. I'll be happy with whatever I get. :)

      Yeah, I find lighting a much bigger problem in TS3, though I don't think the ceiling lights tend to hang down so low in that game! I know just the spotlight you're talking about though and I'm fairly sure DOT made something similar for TS2. I'm going to go hunt it down. Thanks for the reminder!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Edward and Lucy are SO cute together, and I can't wait to see what they have! Two girls would be super sweet for them. Curious on the lighting issues for the house, when I come across that, I use those invisible (tiny) lights to help. I thought the house looked cozy though!

    They really have a nice set up here with the upstairs being like an apartment, and if you need to have dinner with someone, his parents seem like nice people to have it with.

    The nurseries look great! Super excited for all these babies you'll be having in your hood, and for seeing Noel and Byron age up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been pretty fond of Edward and Lucy and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for two girls. :D And I'm still going to track down some tiny/invisible lights. I find it a bit distracting to play in this house, because it just doesn't look right. Especially for me, who keeps all lights on all the time in game!

      Edward and Lucy could be sharing with far more intrusive parents/in-laws than Tatiana and Jonas, that's for sure.

      I know! Gotta keep up my playing so I can actually get to them!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I use DOT lights in TS4 too! ;)

    This must happen all the time in big close families, where one sibling loses a baby and another has to carry the guilt of bringing one (or in their case, two!) to term right after. It's generous of them to be delicate about it. I'm sure someone pettier would feel entitled to the attention, especially if it was a first pregnancy.

    OMG you make your game sound so terrifying with that mod in! I'm all for ROS kind of uncertainty, where you get like half a year to prepare yourself for it, but I'd be a nervous wreck with that mod. I'm glad Lucy is deciding to slow down a bit. I wouldn't let her out of bed, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to make a note to download those! I keep forgetting until I'm in game (which I am right now, lol).

      I have a friend who tried for about ten years to become pregnant and ultimately adopted last year. She was an aunty to eleven nieces and nephews before that. She was always so genuinely happy for her siblings and siblings-in-law but I can't imagine it wasn't also incredibly painful for her. It would be so difficult, especially if you were surrounded by people who maybe are not so delicate!

      LOL, my game is kind of terrifying! I actually am better with this sort of uncertainty than ROS uncertainty. Knowing it's coming just makes me dread it and put off playing...but this just happens. Honestly, it actually happens a bit too often - if I've already had a sim miscarry recently, I have been known to just exit to the hood screen if it happens again. I don't want to write about three or four miscarriages within a sim year! Way too depressing. If I knew how to mod, I would decrease the chances or decrease the hunger/energy levels that trigger it but I don't know how to mod! So I keep some semblance of control over it.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete