Thursday 27 February 2020

An update on Sullivan

It's been a while and I know not everyone follows me on Twitter or is a member at N99, so I thought I would pop in and tell you all what's going on.

Not long after my last update, my computer started showing signs that it didn't have much more life in it. It couldn't really cope with any game any more without crashing or freezing (except Sims 2 and some really non-demanding games, like Stardew Valley). I do love my TS2 but I also play a lot of other games, so it was time for an upgrade. That, unfortunately, meant an upgrade to Windows 10. Knowing the issues people have had with Windows 10, I was very nervous about this!

A few weeks later, I have Sims 2 successfully installed (went with the Ultimate Collection this time). I initially had some pink flashing, even after I did the 4GB patch and Graphics Rule Maker. This was after less than a sim day playing and with NO custom content. A friend on Twitter was kind enough to point me in the direction of this guide. It took me a while to get around to trying it but I finally did the other day and managed to play for four or five sim days with no pink flashing. To be clear, I just quit out at that point - I still didn't see any pink flashing, nor did I crash.

What I plan to do next is play another session with no CC, just to make sure everything still seems good. Then I will slowly add my CC in, testing as I go. I do need to get rid of some stuff anyway, so that will be an opportunity for me to have a close look at everything. Hopefully, once I'm done, the load will not be too much and my final step will be to test with Sullivan. That's still safely backed up, not that I need it, because my old hard drive is still in my PC.

Keep your fingers crossed that these next steps go well for me, as I'm very keen to continue with TS2 and Sullivan!

13 comments:

  1. glad your computer is working well with the sims 2 (I have windows 10) and mine runs for quite a bit then will just shut down the sims from nowhere just constantly save is my advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the guide I linked to? A lot of people have had success with it and the simmer who wrote it is quite happy to answer questions via Twitter or MTS. Thank you though, I'm already in the habit of saving often from when I was getting all that crashing before I rebuilt!

      Delete
  2. I hope it goes well. I love your updates. I sadly gave up mine since my life took over. lol. thank you for thinking of us and giving us an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you worked through the pink flashing issues. Culling CC can be satisfying. You've been playing TS2 for so long now, so some older CC may not be to your taste anymore. Definitely get rid of it and make room for more stuff, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've worked through the pink flashing without CC. I'm still worried it'll come back once I have more CC in. So far, so good but I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm definitely finding things I don't want any more though!

      Delete
  4. A while ago, I had no choice but to install the Ultimate Collection; it works ok but there are occasional bugs even without CC.
    Congratulations on your successful upgrade! This is something I will have to do sooner or later. My current computer is 11 or 12 years old...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you've got your new computer up and running. That's clever testing the game before diving back into Sullivan to make sure everything works. Good luck and welcome back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hoping it goes better than last time I used a test hood before trying Sullivan again! Back then, the test hood was fine...and then I tried Sullivan and had exactly the same issues with flashing and crashing. Even understanding so much more about pink flashing than I did then, I still don't understand why that happened!

      Delete
  6. Oh no, so sorry to hear about your computer! I guess this is a good time to get rid of some things that you don't use or need. Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon so you can get back to posting your beloved TS2 story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I'm glad the process is coming along smoothly! It was a trial for my game, and the document you linked wasn't around when I first upgraded to windows 10. It's nice that it's been out for a while now so there's lots of advice. Looking forward to seeing an update when you get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was basically no info at all on pink flashing when I first experienced it on Windows 7! I really was just flailing around trying to fix it and gave up after a while. Fingers crossed this continues to go smoothly for me.

      Delete
  8. I thought I'd left a comment a little while ago but haven't seen it show up so not sure what happened there, maybe I forgot to hit publish. lol Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with your computer. Sometimes it can be nice to start fresh on a new one though. I hope you're able to get things sorted soon so you can get back to your beloved Sullivan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought you left one too and now I can't see it either! It was probably me, lol.

      I'm actually not having too much trouble with the computer at all. I'm just going very slowly with adding my CC, because I've heard W10 doesn't cope as well with large amounts of it as W7 does. :)

      Delete