Monday 9 March 2015

In the morning

Round 35: September 2042 (Spring)
last update/next update
Collins 1 household profile
Emil Collins is 70 and Anna is 64.
(Rebecca is 33, Nathan and Malcolm are 32, Hope is 31, and Mason is 3 months old)

Narrated by Anna Collins

Thank goodness Emil has his licence back and can drive again. Chauffeuring him around all the time for four years got very old.


I became quite resentful towards him during that time but to his credit, Emil has been trying to make up for it.

We've had a lot of date nights recently, which has been nice. We've been trying out a few restaurants in the area that we haven't been to in ages, if at all. 

Emil and I have never put the effort into our marriage that we should and we’re realising that now.

Emil tried to joke the other day that we wouldn't have realised it without his drink driving conviction. 

I wasn't particularly impressed with that attempt at humour, let me tell you. 

Hopefully, he won’t be stupid enough to try to drive drunk again. If he does, whatever the courts do to him will be nothing compared to what I’ll bring down on his head. 

I hope that is behind us forever. So far, so good. 

We’re talking about taking a trip together, maybe to Cape Elizabeth, but we’re a bit preoccupied here at home at the moment. Perhaps next year.

Emil and I became grandparents a few months ago, when our daughter Hope had her son Mason.

It was a long road for her and Malcolm - they lost their first baby very late in her pregnancy - so they are both utterly relieved that everything went so perfectly this time around. 

Mason has a thick crop of black hair like Malcolm but I'm hoping he’ll start to look more like a Collins as he gets older. He does have big blue eyes like Hope’s.

Hope and Malcolm are adjusting well to being parents, thought it helps that Mason is a pretty easy baby so far. He sleeps a lot. So much that she keeps checking on him to make sure he’s all right. 

I don’t remember Hope or Nathan being like that as babies but then again, I didn't enjoy the baby stage very much at all. 

Emil wouldn't agree. He has a very rosy view of our days as young parents.

That’s probably why he was so keen for #3 when I was more than done after Hope. 

I was a bit apprehensive about becoming a grandmother - I still don’t really feel like I'm old enough, though I obviously am.

I'm slowly getting used to the idea. I definitely like being able to hand him over to Hope or Malcolm when he needs a change, rather than having to deal with it myself!

Emil didn't need any adjustment time to being a grandparent. He’s been desperate for one of the kids to reproduce for years now.

He’s beside himself that it’s finally happened. He’s volunteered us for babysitting duty already.

I think it might be a while before Hope and Malcolm take us up on it. They’re still a little protective of Mason and aren't keen to leave him with anyone, even his very enthusiastic grandfather. 

They’ll need a break eventually and Emil is waiting in the wings when they do.

Nathan and Rebecca don’t have any children yet but I can tell Nathan is keen to start a family soon. He always has been.

He has friends with little kids but he loves having a baby in the family and actually being an uncle now. He is exactly where he wants to be with his career, so it would be a good time for them. He would have to get Rebecca on board first though. 

I'm not sure what Rebecca thinks about having a baby right now. We’re not especially close and she wouldn't open up to me about anything like that.

I like her just fine but even after as many years as she’s been with Nathan, our conversations are barely above the level of small talk.

I don’t mind but she’s the same way with Emil and he does. So he pesters Nathan about it instead. 

Nathan has told him that once they’re expecting, we’ll be the first to know but that he’s not going to share any details at all with him before then. They’re keeping their family planning decisions private.

Emil has promised he’ll stop bugging them about it, though I’m not positive how much his word is worth in this case.

Being retired, he has really immersed himself in this new role of grandfather and he’s already keen for another little baby in the family!

Notes:
  • Title is from In The Morning by Ben Lee
  • Sorry this took so long! I just couldn't get started with it and then I couldn't figure out how to wrap it up. I try to get these out weekly, so massive fail on that account. The next one will be a bit late too, though hopefully not quite as late as this one!
  • Anna was rolling some very family oriented wants this session, starting with the very beginning of the session, when she had the wants to call Hope and Nathan to chat. Becoming a grandmother must have softened her a little. ;)
  • Emil and Anna were also being unusually lovey-dovey this session. They usually just roll woohoo wants but there were a lot of flirting and kissing wants this time around. No multiple make out/woohoo wants from either of them, which was interesting. 

18 comments:

  1. Aw, I like that she's (sort of) forgiven him for his drunk driving. I remember when he did that, such a stupid thing to do, especially at his age, lol. :)

    Here's hoping they'll see more grandchildren in this family soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be annoyed at my husband drunk driving at any age, let alone 66! So Emil is very lucky Anna is willing to look past it now. He'll have to be on his best behaviour for the rest of his life though. She'll forgive but she won't forget. ;)

      I would really love Nathan and Rebecca to provide another grandbaby next round! I guess we'll see. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Drunk driving is the kind of thing you can forgive but dangerous to forget, since everyone's safety is involved.

      Delete
    3. Absolutely. Though I think Anna's concerns for the safety of the general public come second to Anna's concerns for Anna herself. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, is that the baby hair you were talking about! That is precious! So thick and fluffy! What a cutie pie! <3

    Sullivan always makes me miss having extended families and grandparents in my hoods! I need to play one hood long enough that my adults can actually age, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the hair I was talking about! I'm never going to be without baby hair again, I swear. It makes the babies look so much cuter.

      LOL, if you stick to your short updates thing with Sierra Nova, I think you could do the whole extended family thing in TS4! :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. How funny that becoming a grandmother softened Anna. And as I was reading her perspective on Emil, and how having one grandchild made him want another so much more now, I couldn't help but picture those darn "Get a Grandchild" wants rolling up constantly, even when a Family Sim JUST had a grandchild! I am so pleased to see Hope and Malcolm with their little Mason. And good for Rebecca and Nathan, being tight-lipped about their plans to start a family, after all, it is only their business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd but Anna really did seem a little sweeter this round! I'll have to see if it continues.

      Emil is a super-cute grandpa. :) You've pretty much just described his wants for this session, lol. Hopefully Nathan and Rebecca will give him another grandkid soon but I'm having a lot of fun with Hope and Malcolm and little Mason at the moment. :) Just happy they've finally got a baby!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. So glad to see everyone fawning over baby Mason! I'd love to see Nathan and Rebecca have a baby too, but it's good that Nathan's keeping quiet about their road there. I laughed when Anna said they hadn't put much effort into their relationship because that certainly is the truth! It's good to know they're willing to change that, but hopefully Emil remembers that he's essentially on a one strike policy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like Nathan and Rebecca to reproduce at some point. It'll happen, as it does for all of my sims but Nathan is not the type to share details until there's something to announce.

      Haha, no, Anna and Emil have not been my most romantic or committed couple in years gone by! They seemed to be making up for lost time during this session. I would hope Emil is all too aware that Anna has him on a short leash now.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Gods, Mason is such a cute baby! And Emil is pretty adorable too, being all excited about being a granddaddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he though? It's the hair. I've said this so many times now but I will never go without it again. It makes such a difference.

      I've been waiting for Emil to be a granddad, so I'm glad he enjoys it as much as I thought he would.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I love Mason's hair! I love how Anna and Emil both have different experiences with Mason, especially since Anna wasn't too excited about becomming a grandmother. I'm glad she's getting used to the idea though.
    I'm wondering if they will get any more grandchildren soon, I really hope so, it would be nice for Mason to have a cousin practically the same age!

    I can see that Anna is glad Emil is allowed to drive again, and that she doesn't have to drive him any more. But it feels good that it brought him a little bit closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Anna will adapt to grandparenthood! She has a slightly warped idea of her age and this has made her realise exactly how old she is. ;)

      I have my fingers crossed for Nathan and Rebecca next round. She'll be 34 next time I play her, so I don't want them to wait too much longer. Her fertility would already be declining. I think Anna and Emil will get at least one more grandkid out of Hope and Malcolm too.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Very sweet update seeing Emil and Anna as grandparents and getting to see Mason. It's one of those things, where you always wonder what they might have had or what it might have looked like, but then you wouldn't have cutie Mason. I'd be more neurotic then just checking on my sleeping baby if I were Hope, cause I did that without any loss like she experienced.

    Nice to see Emil and Anna getting along and being romantic together. They've never seemed particularly infatuated with one another, more like a mutual business relationship with some side benefits. Emil is just so opposite of Anna, with his desires for family, grandchildren. I'm curious about Rebecca and Nathan too, it will be exciting when they do start their family, but I don't see Rebecca as one to jump right into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that will probably be something I'll touch on in Malcolm and Hope's next update - being so happy with Mason but still having a part of them wonder what might have been. I'm really looking forward to playing them as parents, actually!

      Yeah, I was sort of impressed with Emil and Anna this round! I agree that their relationship has always seemed a bit...well, business-like is probably a perfect term to use. That's really been all on them. They're really quite different people but it looks like they're growing closer in their old age, which is a nice surprise.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Anna is hilarious, she's so fiery! Poor Emil, I imagine Anna is not only tough but strict with her kids as well as her husband. lol She must be a really funny sim to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna was actually more fun for me this update than she ever has been, which was weird. Anna is not so much strict with her kids as she is overbearing and nosy. ;) She's strict with Emil though, lol. She wears the pants in this relationship, for sure.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete