Sunday, 30 September 2012

Down in the fire

Round 34: October 2039 (Spring)
Caleb Moretti is 57 and Cara is 50.
(Nick is 36, Sarah is 34, Anthony and Veronica are 22, Thomas is 8, Ryan is 7, Catherine is 5 and Alex is 2 weeks old)



Narrated by Cara Moretti


It’s been a very exciting time for our family recently, after Nick and Sarah welcomed their fourth child, Alex.

They’d always wanted another baby but it wasn’t until this year that it was a realistic option for them.

I cannot imagine having four kids but if Anthony and Veronica had been easy babies like Nick and Sarah have had, Caleb might have been able to convince me to have another!


Just like his older siblings, Alex is an absolute sweetheart.

Out of all of Nick’s children, Alex looks the most like Nick did as a baby. I didn’t meet Caleb until Nick was about 10 but from pictures, there’s definitely a close resemblance between father and son.

Alex is still so young though and it’s hard to say. Anthony looked a lot like Nick when he was born but as adults, they don’t really look that much alike at all.

Nick and Sarah are incredibly happy now that they have this new addition to their family. They feel like their family is complete now.

Thomas and Ryan are loving being big brothers again. They really take pride in that role.

Catherine is just excited that she’s no longer the baby of the family. She doesn’t even mind that she didn’t get a sister. She says she’s used to being the only girl anyway.

He'll be more interesting to the kids once he can do more than cry, eat, sleep and drool. He has his doting parents and grandparents to coo over that sort of thing; his siblings aren't nearly as impressed.

Alex has no shortage of people to fuss over him!

Even Anthony is quite charmed by his new little nephew. He didn’t show quite as much interest in any of the others when they were babies, though he’s a great uncle with them now.

He’s been very quick to assure us that he’s not planning on having his own kids any time soon, before we get too excited.

I don’t know what will happen with Anthony. He’s 22 and he’s never had a serious girlfriend. He dated a couple of girls while he was at university, neither of whom we ever even met.

I’m really not the kind of mother who is desperate for her children to settle down and have their own kids but it would be nice if we met at least one of the girls Anthony dates!

But honestly, I’d be happy if he just got himself a decent job but he seems content to while his time away in minimum wage jobs because he just doesn’t need to do anything more.

He won quite a lot of money as a teenager, which we held in trust for him until he graduated college. He’s been responsible with it; he bought a house outright, as well as a car. But he doesn’t seem to have any motivation to challenge himself with anything as a result.

He’s got a degree in economics and he’s working as a clerk in a convenience store. He says it’s “fun”.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t want to do more with his life than just coast. He’s so smart and I wish he’d exercise his brain a little more.

I keep hoping he’ll take a leaf out of Veronica’s book but so far, he hasn’t. Veronica is teaching, just like she’d planned on and is simultaneously studying for her Master’s.

Veronica loves being so busy but it doesn't seem to be something Anthony wants for his own life.

She says she hasn’t got much time for a social life at the moment, which is probably the least appealing part of it for Anthony.


But I wouldn’t expect Anthony to do further study if he didn’t want to. I’d just like him to have a job where he can make better use of his strengths.

To Anthony’s credit, he puts up with my nagging pretty well!

Caleb thinks I should lay off anyway, even if Anthony is being exceedingly tolerant.

Veronica’s always known she wanted to teach but Anthony’s never had that same direction. It might take him a few years to figure out something he really wants to do.

Caleb himself spent years and years in a job he knew was going nowhere and he had Nick to think of. Anthony doesn’t have the responsibilities Caleb had, so he doesn’t think working at a convenience store for a while is such a big deal.

I’d feel better about it if Anthony was showing any signs that this is actually going to be a short-term thing.

Regardless, I’m going to try to take a step back for a while and let Anthony find his own path. If he’s anything like his father, Caleb may well be right that it will take him a while to work out what he wants to do with his life.

20 years ago, I don’t think Caleb would have seen himself opening his own business or running for governor but now, he’s done both.

The catering business has gone very well, though Caleb’s bid for governor was not quite as successful. The current governor was re-elected in a landslide.

He was disappointed with the results but he bounced back. I don’t think he thought he had a good chance of winning in the first place. Sullivan has never had a one-term governor.

Caleb had some great ideas for Sullivan, so it’s definitely a shame he won’t be able to put them into action. He would have been wonderful as governor.

I think he still could be, if he ran again next time but he’s not so sure he wants to.

He says he’s almost glad he wasn’t elected now, because he feels like he’s at a point in his life when he wants to wind things down a bit, as opposed to taking on anything new.

He’s not ready for retirement yet but he can see it on the horizon and he’s looking forward to it.

Retirement is definitely not on my radar yet. But Caleb is a bit older than I am, which probably makes all the difference in this case.

But I can get behind Caleb retiring. I’m actually looking forward to it. With my job, sometimes we end up on opposite schedules and it’ll be a nice change of pace to know that we can actually spend time together when I’m not working.

Notes:
  • Title is from Down in the Fire by AA Bondy.
  • Business first: the election poll closed a couple of days ago and Zaria was the clear winner. She got 62.86% of the vote (44 votes in total), while Caleb and Steve earned 18.57% of the vote each (13 votes to each of them in total). I was considering letting Caleb run for governor again next time but now he's rolled up this retirement want. I don't think running for governor again is something he really wants to take on at this point in his life, so perhaps the fact that he didn't win was a good thing. ;)
  • I always think it's sweet when grandparents roll wants for their grandkids, especially if they don't live together. Alex was just born this month in game and when I loaded this lot, Caleb had the want to cuddle him. 
  • Anthony's LTW is to Become a Professional Party Guest. The boy has serious career aspirations, clearly. To Cara, someone who waitressed her way through college so she could become a doctor, this would be rather baffling. I'm going to let Anthony go through the slacker career though and then see what he wants to do once he gets to the top.
  • I hope all the formatting is okay in this post! I'm using KompoZer to write my updates now but I'm still figuring out which options are best for the blog. Bear with me while I nut it all out!

22 comments:

  1. Anthony's lack of career aspirations is likely very frustrating for poor Cara. I hope he rolls some more substantial wants soon!

    I was torn between Zaria and Caleb, myself. I hope he'll be content in retirement! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara's somewhat of an overachiever, so Anthony's attitude to life is not something she can understand very easily. I'll have a look at what other careers might suit Anthony once he reaches his LTW - Cara will have to deal it until then!

      Yeah, I think Caleb will be very happy in retirement, when the time comes. He's never been a particularly career-oriented guy, even once he figured out what he wanted to do. Work was always a part of his life and not his whole life.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, the new baby got a lot of attention. I like that you're not forcing Anthony to find his way so soon, sometimes it takes a moment, though he is extremely lucky to have his trust, otherwise I don't know if his folks would be so patient with him being broke and all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone was pretty excited about Alex's birth. Including me, lol!

      No, for now, the Slacker career is Anthony's way. This is the career he's decided he wants to be in, so I'm not going to interfere with that for the meantime. We'll see how he goes. The money he got from his trust does make the kind of career decisions he's making a lot less of a worry though. ;)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I like Anthony's attitude - he seems to enjoy living his life like that, and there's nothing wrong with working at a convenience store :-)
    Love the pictures of the family around the dining table, with the framed photos on the wall behind them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, Anthony's not wasting his parents' money. He earned a full scholarship for uni and is now supporting himself. So they can't complain too much there!

      Glad you like the family portraits. I had to selectively photograph the dining room, to cover up the fact that I have two blank frames waiting for Anthony and Veronica's grad pics, once I get around to doing them!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think it's nice to have a sim who isn't so career-driven for a change. Most sims (at least mine) seem to know from an early age what they want to do and I can never really relate to that. I'm 34 and I still don't know what I want to do "when I grow up", lol. I can understand though that it's hard for Cara to understand that kind of an attitude towards life.

    Aww, I can't wait to see what Alex looks like when he ages to toddler. That's always such an exciting transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Anthony's always seemed pretty easygoing to me, so the fact that he rolled an LTW to reach the top of the Slacker career is quite fitting. He's more similar to Caleb in his early 20s than Cara.

      Agreed, baby to toddler is the best! You literally have no idea what they're going to look like until then and it's fun to finally find out. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I like it that Anthony does just what he likes, and isn't too bothered by his mother's nagging. For some reason I think he would have done the same without his winnings from years back, it seems like his character.
    I can understand that Cara is worried about him though, I think any mother would be, but as long as he's not in trouble I wouldn't be to worried about if I were her.

    I'm anxious to see Alex grow up and see who he looks like the most. I'm secretly hoping for a little Nick-clone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, Anthony's not going to be pushed into anything he doesn't want to do. And you're right, he would have looked for the same kind of job even without winning that money! What would Cara have thought then, lol? She's going to try to relax about it a bit but it's not something she understands.

      I would love another Nick clone! Thomas was a Nick clone, mostly, but he's fairer than Nick. Still adorable though, as we all know. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. LOL, oh boy. It only makes sense that a successful person like Cara would have a kid like Anthony. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you. But there's always one to drive the determined, professional person mad with their "but I just want to take it easy and LIVE" speeches. ;)

    I am quite excited to see what kind of mischief Anthony gets in with his lackadaisical views on life. Hopefully it's nothing too scandalous!

    Awww, I love it when grandparents roll wants, too! My TS3 sims do it and it makes me happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, exactly! Had he not won that money, I think Cara would be a little more relaxed about Anthony's job but she knows he's got enough that he can just coast with the minimum wage jobs for the rest of his life, if he wanted to. We'll see what he gets up to, because I don't see Anthony bending to his mother's will any time soon.

      It's really sweet, isn't it? I actually haven't played a TS3 hood long enough for anyone to have grandchildren yet, so that'll be something to look forward to, when I do. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Anthony always was a bit of a slacker, so seeing him in this state is not surprising. It's actually rather amusing, seeing how successful the rest of the family is.
    Alex is a little darling, and I love seeing the family cooing over him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anthony's choices now probably haven't quite surprised Cara as they have disappointed and frustrated her. It is completely in line with the way he was all through high school!

      Alex is a cutie. I'm so keen to age him up so I can see what he really looks like, as well as seeing him do a bit more.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Anthony is only 22, if there was anytime in his life to be a bit of a slacker (no pun intended lol), then this is it! I can see how that would drive Cara crazy, but he has everything he needs and isn't begging them for help. He hasn't gotten into any serious trouble, so he's kind of most parents' dream lol. Alex is one well loved little cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! This is definitely the time for Anthony to screw around a little and have a "fun", laid-back kind of job. Cara has never seen those sorts of jobs as careers though and she'd really like Anthony to get a job with a little more opportunity for advancement!

      All the kids of this family are very well-loved. One of my favourites. :)

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. Hi Carla,

    just read that you're having crashing issues again, oh no, I'm sorry, this happened again. I really really hope you'll find a way so can play again!

    all the best,

    Astrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the commiseration, Astrid! I'm planning on putting a post up soon, just to let everyone know what's what. :) I'm definitely not ready to give up on Sullivan.

      Delete
  10. I think this totally fits with Anthony, the LTW, the lack of serious relationships. I'm totally curious who he will one day end up marrying, but I think it's great that he's this smart, well-funded guy that just coasts. It happens! I can see how frustrating that might be to Cara though, she worked hard to get where she is, and Veronica is well determined too. I like that he sort of matches his Dad though, and it's not like Caleb has this big time education/career ether.

    Loved seeing the pictures of Alexander being doted on by all the family, I can't wait to see who he looks like when he has that first birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all very much in keeping with previous behaviour from Anthony! He's never been very ambitious. All his achievements have kind of just fallen into his lap. I actually have a vague idea who Anthony might end up with (or who I'd like him to end up with, as I'm not going to force it). They'd be an interesting pair though! I think it's going to take Anthony longer than most to "grow up"!

      I'm excited to age up little Alex too. I have to wait until I get this crashing problem solved though!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  11. I love the family gatherings and is one of the things I really like about the families in Sullivan.I definitely understand Cara's concern for her son, but I also admire Anthony's willingness to do what he wants, even if it's not what anyone would expect for a college graduate with a degree in economics.I bet it's slightly comforting that Veronica at least has a plan, so she only has one child to worry over rather than two.

    I hope Caleb enjoys retirement, if he definitely decides not to change his mind.He seems to be moving passed losing anyway, and doesn't seem to hard-pressed on it.He has pretty large family, with a newborn grandson, to spoil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy the family gatherings - I love doing them and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to in getting the hood going again. :)

      Cara probably doesn't need to worry about Anthony as much as she does. He's surviving and he's happy, which is the main thing. She'll always be disappointed that he's not pushing himself as much as he could though. Such a contrast to Veronica and to herself.

      I think Caleb will love retirement, once he goes ahead and does it. He'll probably wait until he's 65, which is the retirement age in Sullivan. There'll be plenty more time to spend with his family. Who knows, Veronica or Anthony might have given him another grandchild or two by then!

      Delete